The Church of England
The first Anglican service was held
in 1854 in a building long since demolished
In 1858 the Anglicans built a
combination school church building
(refer to history of the Church of England) on their
land near the cemetery. The stone building was opened on the 19th
September 1858 by Archdeacon Stretch of Geelong. In 1869 the original stone
building was demolished, and much of the stone transported to the present
site in the town, where a new church was built
in the grounds of the house purchased for a vicarage (Dr. Wilders house).
The church was opened by Bishop Field Flowers on the 2nd February
1890 with a
solemn Dedication Service.
[BACK TO HERITAGE TRAIL HOME]