Many of the earliest settlers in the
district were Scots, it is hardly surprising therefore, to note that the
earliest form of Christian worship in the valley, was that of the Scots
Church (refer to history of the Presbyterian Church).
Archibald Simpson was appointed
minister of the Leigh in 1854, and after his arrival the first services
were conducted in Inverleigh at Robert Hope's
(see original inhabitants) house. George Russell
supplied Mr. Simpson with a house and soon after
his arrival began collecting subscriptions from the people to build a wooden
structure in Shelford, which could be used as both church and school.
[BACK TO HERITAGE TRAIL HOME]